Wednesday, October 29, 2014

"Kelp Harvesting" by South African Figurative Artist Marie Theron


In Zanzibar, I observed the activity of seaweed harvesting by the Masaai women. By driving sticks into the low areas of the sea, traps are formed where the seaweed can easily be collected. Bucketfuls of the green stuff are then taken to the beach to be hung out to dry. Dry seaweed is exported to China where it is boiled into soap and shampoo.

In my painting "Kelp Harvesting", I have tried to show the endless stretch of low tide, and the blinding light that etches out the figures of workers. I did not take enough photos while I was there, but I treasure these few photos and hope you like them too. They really portray the exact mood on that tranquil island.


"KELP HARVEST"
by South African Figurative Artist
MARIE THERON

Oil on boxed canvas
20" x 20" x 2"


US$489




No comments:

Post a Comment