Sunday, May 28, 2017

Child Figurative Painting, Little Girl "Me & Al Jolsen" by Illinois Artist Marilyn Weisberg



Here I am, a 4-year-old little girl, with my favorite Al Jolson puppet. I still have this pretty green organza dress with my name on it and a lock of my curly red hair. I still have this smiling, happy little puppet!   Who was Al Jolson? He was the most successful entertainer in the US in the 1930s.  With his movies and songs, like The Jazz Singer and Swanee River, he became known and loved for his singing, dancing, acting, and work in blackface.  Curiously, he was white, Jewish, an immigrant from Lithuania, and the son of a rabbi.  He cared deeply for African American music and musicians, fought against racial discrimination, and led the way for many black performers, like Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong.

 24"x20 Oil on Canvas/Private Collection

 Commissions Welcome.


 View Marilyn's Fine Art Paintings HERE


 View Marilyn's Available Fine Art Giclee' Prints  HERE




                       





No comments:

Post a Comment