Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Why I Like to Paint People and Faces by Artist Marilyn Weisberg

Why I Like to Paint People and Faces
They are very alive.  They are a challenge, especially the facial features…getting the eyes just right.  It’s hard explain, faces are just more fun than other subjects, for me.  Maybe I’m just more interested in people than objects, though I love flowers, too.  

Most painters have things they prefer to paint…still lifes, landscapes, seascapes, flowers, people, abstract shapes, people portraits, dogs, cats, food, buildings, trucks.  Yes, trucks!  Me, I love to paint people.  Portrait painting is exciting.  Each face is a challenge…the proportions, the skin tone, the curve of the cheek, the highlights on the nose, some sensuality in the lips and and kindness to the smile.  No angry people allowed.  

Early on, painting a good portrait became a goal.  I wanted to emulate some of the teachers I first encountered, who happened to be excellent portrait and figurative artists.  Like Frankie Johnson, Susan Ploughe, Romel De La Torre, and Kevin Bielfuss—beautiful portrait and figurative artists.  I also love the work of John Singer Sargent, Dan Gerhartz, and Malcolm Liepke. 






View my work at https://marilynscanvas.com
Commission a Portrait HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment